Quite unpleasant, but mostly harmless – an inflammation of the prostate can cause a variety of complaints. The specialist consultants at alta uro will be glad to help you with a treatment individually tailored to your symptoms. This will soon make your prostate inflammation a thing of the past.

What is a prostate inflammation and what can cause it?

An inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis) is an either acute or chronic inflammation of the prostate. The following forms of prostate inflammation are distinguished:

  • acute bacterial prostatitis,
  • chronic bacterial prostatitis,
  • chronic pelvic-pain syndrome in men (often also called chronic prostatitis),
  • prostatitis without any symptoms.

Acute bacterial prostatitis is a rare but severe disease accompanied by fever, chills, pain in the perineal area, and difficulty urinating. Acute prostatitis is caused by bacteria.

Chronic prostatitis is much more common. About one in three men will develop chronic prostatitis in the course of his life. But only 5% of the cases actually are a chronic bacterial infection, while the remaining 95% are due to non-bacterial inflammations or pelvic-pain syndrome. The symptoms often appear and disappear in a wave-type pattern. Those affected complain of burning or pain in the pelvis or perineal area, which can radiate into the penis, testicles, or even thighs. Often, ejaculation may also be painful. Urinating may be difficult and a burning sensation in the area of the urethra is also common. The causes of a chronic inflammation of the prostate are not clear. Sometimes an infection with difficult-to-detect bacteria is suspected. Often, there are no abnormal findings though, so that changes in the area of the bladder neck or a muscle tension of the pelvic floor are assumed.

How is an inflammation of the prostate diagnosed?

Various tests are carried out to diagnose an inflammation of the prostate, including a palpation of the prostate, a urine test, blood tests, an ultrasound examination of the bladder and the prostate and, if necessary, other tests such as a cystoscopy.

What are the treatment options?

An acute prostatitis requires an antibiotic therapy; in severe cases during an inpatient stay. In addition, anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving medication is also administered. If, in the course of the acute prostatitis, the swelling should become so severe that spontaneous urination is no longer possible, the bladder will have to be drained via a catheter.

The therapy of a chronic prostatitis is based on the underlying cause. If it is caused by a chronic bacterial inflammation, an antibiotic therapy of several weeks’ duration will be necessary. If it is caused by a non-bacterial inflammation, that is, a chronic pelvic-pain syndrome, a therapy based on the symptoms will be most effective. Depending on the severity of the condition, the therapy will consist of anti-inflammatory medication, pain-relieving medication, medication to improve urination, medication slowing down the urge to urinate, warm hip baths, relaxing physiotherapy, herbal preparations, or psychotherapy.